Thursday, January 1, 2009

I finally get it!

Ok in my for mentioned blog I discuss how fast time goes and that I am often in a state of wonderment trying to figure out where time went. Tonight I had a realization. I'm sure I have realized this to some degree in the past, but since I am now a blogger it seems only appropriate that I should share this revelation with you.

Today is January first. Christmas was exactly one week ago. On Sunday December 21st we went to Torrance to have Christmas with my family out there. While we were out there I asked my mom (she drove out there, therefore it was her truck. I don't have to ask permission to go places normally) if we could go to Joann's. The Del Amo fashion center (it's like the third biggest mall in the country) has a HUGE Joann's! She said sure and off we went. (On a side note there is a Crate and Barrel next door and I got some fabulous kitchen things, but I digress) We went into Joann's a full FOUR days BEFORE Christmas and everything was 70% off!!!! And they were stocking the shelves with Valentines and Easter, yes Easter items!! So back to today, January first. I have a Kohl's gift card and thought there might be some good sales so Cameron and I ventured out and went to the new shopping center off of Newport Road in Menifee. We went into Super Target and found what was left of their Christmas merchandise (now at 75% off!) and it was next to the SUMMER furniture!!! Yes the summer outdoor furniture is already for sale. Along with Valentine's and Easter. Christmas was 7 days ago and they are selling hammocks and umbrellas! So then I came home and after spotting a mouse in the house, I ran to Walmart to get some traps. WalMart still had lots of Christmas decorations (it was only 50% off) But there was an entire isle just for Valentines day candy!! I mean how could we possibly need more candy? I still have Halloween candy! But then it started to really dawn on me. Time moves fast because we are continually reminded by the media, society and consumerism to move fast. Then I discovered another Holiday. It's not really a Holiday, but it has landed Holiday status in the stores because they market for it just like the other Holiday's. It's the Superbowl! You can get all matching dishes and cups and banners and table clothes and serving trays for your Superbowl party! So as I was leaving Walmart without traps, they were out, (I don't know if I was irritated or happy by this. Irritated because I had to go somewhere else, but happy because I am apparently not the only person having mouse problems) I was driving back toward my neck of the woods and I noticed there were far less Christmas lights on. Streets that just a week ago, were aglow with the lights of Christmas excitement, were now dark and dull. And then I got sad. As a society we build our selves up for Christmas. Heck the decorations are in the store in mid September, but as soon as the morning of the 25th passes, Christmas is over to some people. They can't wait till bright and early on the 26th to go return all the stuff they got that they hated. I mention this because Cameron and I were watching a Christmas Carol last night. He asked why if Christmas was over, we were going to watch a Christmas movie. I explained that it was the last day of December, and I thought it seemed right. I need to stress that I hadn't seen the Christmas Carol in probably three years. It had been probably 10 years since I read the book, if not longer. Now I am familiar, as probably are you, with the overall theme and story of A Christmas Carol. But there was one line near the end that really stuck with me. When Scrooge says he will keep Christmas and remember it all year. What a wonderful idea! As I think about this weekend and how we will be "un-decorating" I think of not just of the commercial Christmas but of the real meaning of Christmas. Of a baby born in a manger. A baby who took a human form so that some years later he could die on a cross for my sins. That the selfless act of his Father our Lord to give to us, when we least deserve it. That we can't even take the time out of our live to fully appreciate what a wonderful gift Christmas is.

So here it is, our lives move fast, because they move fast. We are busy. Especially here in California, where we seem to move at the speed of . . . well I don't know what, cause it ain't the freeways'. But we move fast. It's in part because we are always looking as to what is next instead of what is now. I can't fully enjoy Christmas if Valentines day is being shoved down my throat. And I can't enjoy Easter if I have to get ready for the summer. And I can't enjoy the summer because i have to get ready for Halloween. And it's just a hop-skip-and-a shopping trip to Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. And then again . . . another year gone behind us . . . we will sit and wonder "where did the time go?" as we plan our next . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kammy, I just found your blog. Looking forward to going back and reading it.

The ShuFamily said...

i totally agree! thanks so much for sharing...