Friday, June 27, 2014

It's been a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGG time

So my Sister-In-Love started a blog recently, she is the Urban Dreamer. I absolutely love reading her posts and it reminded me that an oh so long time ago, I was a small time blogger. What happened? I surely didn't run out of things to say! HA! No I think I just let life get in the way. My last post was for my sons 6th birthday, he's now 10 and a half!


Four and a half years ago, I had just had a hysterectomy (I've had a complete recovery and feel pretty good most days). 

We still homeschool with Julian Charter School. Cameron is in the 5th grade. We started back in school in late May. We run Cameron on a year round program to keep his mind fresh. There are many benefits to our schedule including days off when we need them instead of when the school decides. It's a nice option seeing as Larry's schedule is totally dependent on current climate conditions. We had ended 4th grade early, so that we could take a nice long vacation in Hawaii! It was totally working through winter and spring breaks!

We still live in the same house, with no intentions of moving any time soon. We finally got things landscaped and decorated the way we like. Four years ago, we did a massive remodel to the inside of our home. . .  with the exception of the master bathroom, it's the last thing we need to do.

I no longer work as a photographer. I retired last May for medical reasons (that's a different post). My sister kept the business going in Southern California for the next nine months and took it with her when she moved to Port Orchard this spring. It's strange to no longer be a professional.  . . My entire adult life I worked as a professional photographer. I now dabble with side businesses (another post too) but nothing fills that void exactly.

I went ahead and went back through all of my previous blog posts, to see just how much has changed. WOW you can't really appreciate change until you look backward. Since my last blog we went from having a cute little garden, to a full on homestead (hence the blog name change). We now live off our land in a way I never imagined. We also joke that since animals outnumber us 10 to 1 we'd be the first to die in the event of an animal uprising.

So now where do I go from here? Now with things like Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest, I hope to connect my homestead lifestyle to the community in a way that will be helpful and hopefully inspiring to other potential homesteaders! If you like what I have to say, please share my blog, don't just judge old blog posts ;) Thanks for reading!

-The Humble Homesteader

No comments: