Monday, June 15, 2009

When life gives you Apricots . . .

We have a very healthy apricot tree in our backyard. For the last two years we have had VERY bountiful crops. Last year, we made LOTS of yummy apricot things including dehydrated apricots and LOTS of jars of jam. This year we have been making dehydrated apricots but with Ashley's graduation party and being the resident dessert person in our family I decided to give a cobbler a shot. I had never made a cobbler so I wanted to make sure I documented the process.It was REALLY Yummy!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (I didn't have nutmeg, so I used all cinnamon)
1 cup water
45 oz of apricot halves, (drained if canned) I used fresh
1 tablespoon butter


You can use canned apricots but I used fresh
Photobucket

You will need to half the apricots if you use fresh, canned apricots already come halved
Photobucket

Because I used fresh apricots I needed to weigh them to get the right amount.
Photobucket

In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in water;
Photobucket

Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil and stir for 1 minute; reduce heat. (This activates the cornstarch with acts as a thickening agent.)
Photobucket

Add apricots and butter ; heat through. Stirring to coat apricots with sauce. Then pour into baking dish. You will need one that holds at least 2 quarts.
Photobucket

Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients into a bowl
Photobucket

cut butter and place into dry ingredients
Photobucket

mix butter into the flour (I used a pastry blender) until crumbly
Photobucket

Add milk and mix
Photobucket

Mix until moistened into dough. Spoon over hot apricot mixture
Photobucket

One thing I realized this morning when uploading my pictures, was I didn't take a picture of the cobbler completed. So hopefully I will get enough apricots to make another cobbler and then I will post a picture.

1 comment:

Mama Parker said...

Mmmm...my mom always made apricot cobbler when we were kids. I can almost taste it!