Thursday, June 18, 2009

When life gives you apricots pt.2

As you may have already read in a blog titled similar to this, you would know that we have a very healthy apricot tree. So in an interest of enjoying our apricots later, we decided to can them up. I wanted to make sure that we would be able to enjoy them, maybe even for baked goods, but didn't want to do jam again.

The first thing we did was collect the apricots
Photobucket

Then we halved them
Photobucket

We then let the halved apricots rest in a bowl with a solution of fruit fresh and water. This helps guard them against browning.
Photobucket

Then I made a simple syrup 2 parts water 1 part sugar
Photobucket
Photobucket

While I was making they syrup Cameron and Larry filled the clean jars with apricots. We cold packed the jars meaning the apricots had not been cooked. There for, the jars were cold too. If you hot pack the jars, meaning the item going in the jar is hot, you need to make the jars hot so they don't break. Once the jars were filled with apricots I filled in the voids with the syrup I had made.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

You need to soak the flat lids in hot or boiling water to soften the rubber seal. Then place the flat lid on the jar and hand tighten the ring. Place jars into rack of canner. Normally I use a water bath method of canning. But in an effort to try and preserve the integrity of the fruit I opted for a steam method I had never used. I placed several inches of water and vinegar in the bottom of my canner. Instead of lowering the rack into the water I kept the jars above the water. I put the lid on the canner and let the apricots steam for about 20 minutes. The heat is important because it can kill any bacteria in the jars. I probably could have done this for less time, but since I had never steam bathed before, I didn't' want to take any chances.
Photobucket

When the jars were done in the canner I left them upside down on a cooling rack. Some of the jars hadn't sealed completely in the canner and I did this as an extra precaution to see if it would help seal (this method has never failed me yet). I am proud to say, everything sealed and we got 13 jars of canned apricots! After abou an hour of them being upside down, I righted them back to finish cooling before rinsing them off for the pantry.
Photobucket

Cameron wanted to help us even further by helping us label some other cans we had in the pantry. We had some apple sauce left over from a few months ago and Larry directed him on how to label it.
Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

Mama Parker said...

So awesome! I hope that our apricot tree produces lots of fruit someday! How cool that Cameron gets to be involved. I bet he'll want an apricot tree someday when he is all grown up. :)

.:Heather:. said...

you are so awesome!